Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Map Colors

I was talking to my co-worker and I said the following, "I wish I had some map colors."

She had no idea what I was talking about.

I said, "Map colors, you know, colored pencils."

Then she knew. She had never heard the term "map colors". She grew up in California, so that got me to wondering if the term "map colors" was a Texas thing.

I went over to another co-worker and asked her if she knew what map colors were. She had no idea what I was talking about. She knew colored pencils thought. She grew up in Alabama.

I asked a third co-worker if she knew what map colors were. She did. She grew up in Texas. So now my curiosity was up. I went around asking several people if they knew what "map colors" were. (I know, I know, it was a very busy day at work.)

My findings where that people who grew up in Texas, knew the term "map colors" and people who did not grow up here either didn't know or had not heard of it until they moved here. The ones that didn't know it at all did know what colored pencils were, however.

I never thought of the term "map colors" as being Texas, but so far that is what my findings show.

Updated List of Texas Words:

*Fixing To (As in: I am fixing to go to the store.)
*Pole Cat (Skunk)
*Coke (Meaning any kind of soda -
Ex: ME "I am fixing to go to the store, do you want a coke?"
YOU "Yes."
ME "What kind?"
YOU "Dr. Pepper."
)
*Y'all (and also All Y'all or Y'all All)
*Blue Northern (Really big cold front)
*Map Colors (aka: Colored Pencils)

Got any to add to this list? Anymore confirmations on the term "map colors" being largely Texas?

1 comment:

  1. i don't know you but i found this blog by "googling" map colors because i'm a texan living in colorado and i ran into the same thing the other day, nobody knew what i was talking about. two other terms people up here don't know:
    1. "a pump" (giving somebody a ride on bycicle"
    2. "a pallete" (blankets and sheets on the floor that you sleep on)

    ReplyDelete