Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Today is "Talk Like A Pirate Day", just in case you didn't know. It reminds me of a story from when I was teaching.

I was going over the answers to a homework assignment. The assignment was to determine if a number was rational or irrational. I will not bore you with the explanation...no matter how much I really WANT to!

To shorten the process I would say either "R" or "I" for the answers. At one point there was a string of answers "R". I wasn't paying much attention, but then the kids kept asking me to repeat the answer. Several times they asked me and then snickered afterwards. It finally dawned on me what was going on. They told me it sounded like a pirate. "Aaarrrrrhhhh"

I then finished going over the assignment, but the answers were back to their long form and for the rest of the year, out of the blue, a kid would say, "R" and they would all giggle.

Twelve year olds are so immature!

No comments:

Post a Comment