Thursday, September 6, 2007

To Teach, Or Not To Teach...

There are so many no's that go through my head when I think about teaching again, but then there are these little "well maybe's" that have started to lurk around.

Just in case you didn't know I taught middle school mathematics (6th, 7th, and 8th grades) for 4.5 years. I taught in two different towns during this time period. I quit in the middle of my fifth year for many many reason and started working at my current job, which I do like and have been here for almost 3 years now.

So I have decided to hash it out here, where I can get some feedback. What has got me to thinking about teaching again is the fact that San Antonio is going to open an all-girls middle school next year. I have always said that if I can find an all-girls school, I would go back to teaching in a heartbeat. But now that it is becoming a reality, I am starting to wonder if that is what I really want to do. I think right now a pro and con list would be helpful.

CONS

* I would have deal with the TAKS (state test) and it's being put on a higher level than where some in administration seem to put God, himself. (Good scores = money from the state, you see.)

*We would possible have to move since the job I want will be in San Antonio and that is where Frankie will hopefully be working as well. I wouldn't want to do the hour commute everyday. While moving is not really that bad, I am just now started to really get to know people where we are. We have not settled anywhere really yet since we have been married. One last thing on moving is that we would have to change churches yet again. That really leaves me feeling so unsettled. I know many people don't care, but I do.

*I would have to leave the safety and comfort of my current job. It is a really good job.

*I would have to deal with students again, which is not really too bad, but I get tired of expecting things out of them and them not living up to it. And I would have to deal with parents....UGH!

PROS

*The money would be way more than I am currently making or ever had made! Especially, if Frankie starts teaching as well.

*I really do like teaching. I get a thrill out of seeing someone understand something they had been struggling with. I really really love seeing students who like math and want to learn. I never stopped "teaching", I tutor several days a week, even now.

*If Frankie starts teaching we will have the same schedule and even if he didn't but stayed where he is at we would have the same schedule. Same hours, same days off.

*Which leads me to this: 2 months off in the summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in Spring, multiple one day holidays....when it is all said and done, did you know that teachers in Texas only work 187 days out of the entire 365 days of the year??

I am sure there are other pros and cons, but these are the first ones I think of when I think of teaching again. So what feedback do you have for me? Please, really, I need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment