Thursday, February 21, 2008

Kindness Is An Eight Letter Word

Frederick William Faber (1814-1863) a British hymn writer and theologian said:

"Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, eloquence or learning."

I want to be a kind person and not just to the people I already know and love. I want to be kind to that person who no one else will talk to, to the one who others avoid, to the stranger. I know that if I want to be seen as a kind person then there are steps I have to take.

To grow my kindness level I first must appreciate it when I receive it. I have received so much kindness from God. Even if I don't feel that I get it from anyone else, I can reflect on this kindness from God. However, there are many others who do show me kindness. When I receive it I should think on how blessed and happy it makes me feel. I can store up all the goodness and keep a mental record of the good instead only the bad that happens. When I am feeling down I can use my resources of stored kindness to help bring me back up.

When I appreciate the kindness that others give me, I have taken the steps to grow my own kindness. Another thing I can do is to practice acts of kindness. I have to deliberately make a conscientious effort to be kind to others on a regular basis. I should plan to do a good dead to someone everyday. I need to watch my words when I am angry so that I don't say things that will hurt others. The affects of practicing kindness will be so nice that I will want to do it all the time. It will become second nature. This is one of those habits that I don't want to break!

I hope I am not alone in my quest to grow my kindness. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this, but remember to be kind! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment