Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pasta Para Duros

I have found a new food, that really is just fun to make. They are called pasta para duros, a Mexican snack made from wheat flour. I had seen them before packaged by a company called Melissa's, but this time they were loose in a bin in the vegetable and fruit section. For some reason this propelled me to buy some, that and the fact that they were only $1.18 per pound. I had no idea how to eat them, what to do with them, or really if they were even edible. I had to ask the cashier what they were even called, then I came home and looked up more information online.

Here is what they look like when you buy them:



They are about the size of quarters and are a red-orange color. They are very hard which the word duro means hard in Spanish. Really they look like sickly tomatoes that have been sliced.

To cook them you can either fry them in oil or microwave them. Neither method takes very long. I have not tried frying, but online it said about 2 or 3 minutes. Microwaving takes roughly 30 seconds. They are done when they have puffed.

Here is what they look like puffed from the microwave:

They are now about the size of a potato chip. It is really fun to watch them grow. If you overcook them in the microwave they will burn. I found that out the hard way. :) They taste a lot like pork rinds and have the same texture. So if you like pork rinds you will like these. They are very dry so having some salsa or Tabasco sauce to dip them in is great. Also suggested online is lime and chili, which is what I will be trying next.

If you see some at your local store pick some up for a great treat!

6 comments:

  1. I was recently in a Swap Meet in Calif that sells the Pasta paro Duros, both cooked and take-and-cook. I am trying to find some online to purchase.. I only want the spiral ones.. They cook up like the ones that Taco Bell sells, with cinnamon and sugar on them .. If anyone knows where I can order these, pleas let me know.. song.of.joy@gmail.com... thanks... Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks fot the info on the Duros.
    Like you said I see them in the produce section all the time in the bins but never knew how to prepare them. I'll try them and report back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a tub of these at my local Meijer store. They look exactly like the ones you have pictured. The whole tub cost me about 50 cents. Thanks for the info on how to prepare them. I Just got them because they looked interesting, I figured I'd be able to learn how to make them online and I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew??? What fun!!! Like others, I bought although I didn't know, but knew the internet would tell me!!! I can hardly wait to introduce these to guests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these things. I always got them from the ice cream cart men, then my aunt revealed to me that they could be bought raw in the Mexican section of some grocery stores. I have heard people call them chicharones...they could be called vegetarian chicharones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son LOVES these!! He loves putting them in the microwave and watching them puff up. I haven't seen them in awhile. Today in the grocery store there was a bin of them. There was no price on them, so I put a few in a produce bag and took them to the checker. Would you believe 14 cents?? So inexpensive for so much joy for a12 year old boy!

    ReplyDelete