“Be sincere in your love for others. Hate everything that is evil and hold tight to everything that is good.” - Romans 12:9-
Everyone wants to be treated good and to have things in their lives that they consider good. Almost everyone wants others to think they are good and they strive to do good things. Good is a good thing! :)
The word good can have many different meanings. A meal that was good is not the same as a man who is good. I want to focus on the word good when it is in the context of human actions. I believe that in the passage above, it too is talking in context of human actions.
Goodness is something that comes from the inside, but it is shown on the outside. If you have mean thoughts about a certain person it is impossible for you to show goodness to them with your actions. Luke 6:45 says: “Good people do good things because of the good in their hearts. Bad people do bad things because of the evil in their hearts. Your words show what is in your heart.”
So now we understand the definition for goodness and we know where to see an example. Here is how to take on the role of being good yourself. (Each of these comes from Romans 12:9-12)
We can say that goodness is good because it reflects God. To really know goodness and see it action you need to know God and the scriptures (2 Timothy 3:16-17: “Everything in the Scriptures is God's Word. All of it is useful for teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live.”). To know God take to heart the following verse from Colossians 1:10: “Then you will live a life that honors the Lord, and you will always please him by doing good deeds. You will come to know God even better.”
- Love each other as brothers and sisters and honor others more than you do yourself.
- Never give up. Eagerly follow the Holy Spirit and serve the Lord.
- Let your hope make you glad. Be patient in time of trouble and never stop praying.
- Take care of God's needy people and welcome strangers into your home.
- Ask God to bless everyone who mistreats you. Ask him to bless them and not to curse them.
- When others are happy, be happy with them, and when they are sad, be sad.
- Be friendly with everyone. Don't be proud and feel that you are smarter than others. Make friends with ordinary people.
- Don't mistreat someone who has mistreated you. But try to earn the respect of others, and do your best to live at peace with everyone.
- Don't try to get even. Let God take revenge. In the Scriptures the Lord says, "I am the one to take revenge and pay them back."
- The Scriptures also say, "If your enemies are hungry, give them something to eat. And if they are thirsty, give them something to drink. This will be the same as piling burning coals on their heads."
- Don't let evil defeat you, but defeat evil with good.
By doing the above you will be seen as a good person in the sight of man and in the sight of God. That is where I want to be I hope you do to.
Have a great day and as my mother always says, “Be good, you don't have anything else to do!” :)