Saturday, March 8, 2008

Three Fruits Left

I have written several post about the fruits of the Spirit that are talked about in Galatians 5:22-23. A more complete text is 19-25:


"The wrong things our sinful self does are clear: doing sexual sins, not being pure, doing morally bad things, worshiping false gods, doing witchcraft, hating, making trouble, having jealousy, being very angry, being selfish, making people mad at each other, making divisions, having envy, being drunk, having wild and wasteful parties, and doing other things like this. I warn you now like I warned you before: The people who do these things will not be in God's kingdom. But the Spirit gives love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. There is no law that can say these things are wrong. Those people who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified (killed) their own sinful selves. They have given up their old selfish feelings and the evil things they wanted to do. We get our new life from the Spirit. So we should follow the Spirit."

Three fruits left.

Faithfulness is the act of holding true to our commitments to God and to others. The unfaithful person is talked about this way in Proverbs 25:19: "Never depend on the faithless during times of trouble. That person is like a hurting tooth or a crippled foot. {He hurts you when you need him most.} " That is NOT how I want people to think of me! The easiest way prove your faithfulness doesn't come from what you say but what you do. It isn't even the big tasks that show your faithfulness. It is rarely glorious tasks. It is doing little things for others and following through on the things you said you would do. Faithfulness matters.

Two fruits left.

Gentleness is often referred to in the Bible as meek. (Matthew 5:5 - Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.) Unfortunately, the idea of being gentle seems out of place in our world. It is seen as a sign of weakness. But in reality gentleness is one of the better qualities a person can have. When there is trouble in life how we react to it is very telling. Instead of instant anger a gentle answer turns away anger. The Bible tells us in many places that we should do all things in gentleness. (Ephesians 4:1-3, Colossians 3:12-13, I Peter 3:15, and Galatians 6:1) Gentleness matters.

One fruit left.

Self-control is the power to do and the power to not do. We should eat properly. We should exercise. We should love others. There is MUCH we should do, self-control is what helps us to do these (....errr....well for the most part!). Self-control also is what keeps us from doing what we should not. Is there anything in this life that you are not able to say no to? If so these are the things that you are a slave to. We should not be a slave to the things of this world. It is hard though, it is very hard. We live in a society of over indulgence. We are bombarded constantly by ads telling us we have to have the next best thing and that we are not good enough without these things. Self-control tells us we are just fine without all the extra. In Proverbs 25:16 there is a very simple verse that speaks volumes! It says: "Eating too much honey can make you sick." Self-control matters.

All fruits accounted for! I need to work on some of these in my life. I want to be aligned with what God wants from me. I don't want you to list them, but think on these. Are there any that you need to work on?

I will work on mine and you work on yours and little by little we will be happier and healthier in life and with God. This will spread to those in the world and you never know who you will make an impact on!

Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. Jenn,
    Great post.
    I want you to know that I love your blog. I hope it is okay that I have added it my favorites. Keep up the great blogging. Of course you are always wecome to add to any discussion anytime. I hope you have a great week. I hope that Frankie is doing better. I will keep him in my prayers.
    In Him,
    Kinney

    ReplyDelete