Monday, July 28, 2008

Credit Freeze

Frankie and I decided that we didn't want to commute two hours a day to our new teaching jobs while saving money for a house. So we started looking for a piece of Texas that we could just move our current house onto it.

We got pre-approved for a loan and the mortgage company asked for information to be sent to them. One thing they want is a copy of both of our social security cards. No problem, except there was a problem. I couldn't find them!

We had a place where we were keeping them, but Frankie decided that it wasn't safe enough so he asked that I move them. I remembered that much, but not where I put them or when I had moved them. We searched high and low for those things for about a week. I knew that it was not just the social security cards that I had moved. There were also some credit cards that we have but don't use regularly with the social security cards.

I wasn't getting panicked yet, but I was dreading the thought of trying to remember what credit cards had been in the stack and having to replace the social security cards. We might have to put a freeze on our credit until it got settled and what if it took a long time for the social security cards to be replaced? We needed them to make copies to send to the mortgage company, now! It would be a pity for this to be what kept us from moving...lost social security cards!

Last night I prayed to God to please let me remember where I had put them. I relaxed and started to read my book before going to sleep. I paused my reading to pet Pan, when suddenly a thought came into my head.

I got up and said to Frankie, "Do you remember when we left for Connecticut in December; you said that the social security cards and credit cards were not in a safe place and you asked me to move them? I think I remember where I put them now!"

I go into the kitchen and open the freezer and start searching. (Yes, the freezer.) I told Frankie that I remembered putting them in here, but I couldn't remember if I had taken them out when we got back. After searching every possible place, it is not like it is that big, I still couldn't find the cards!

But wait!

I had taken the coffee out of the freezer just a few days ago and put the half used box in the fridge. Sure enough, right in the box of fancy decaffeinated coffee, nestled beside the gold foil sat both our social security cards and our credit cards. And to think, I almost, almost, almost threw that box of coffee away. No...never mind....I don't want to think about that. It is one thing to lose things in your house, but to have it turn up who knows where in who knows whose hands....oh perish the thought!

I asked Frankie if we could just put the cards back where they had been and he agreed. So our credit is no longer, literally, frozen and I can make copies of the social security cards for the mortgage company.

Oh the things we do!

1 comment:

  1. I found your twitter account. Tell me about the place. Do you use it often? I just made one, but am not sure what to do with it! :)

    ReplyDelete