Friday, September 26, 2008

Insults And Dirty Talk In Math Class

I managed to insult my calculus class and talk dirty to them all in the same week. I will try not to bog this blog down with a lot of math, but I do need to explain that first sentence.

We have been working with functions (aka. equations) and how to find the derivative (just nod your head) of the functions. Functions start with f(x)= and it is said f of x or just f -x just like it looks. One of the procedures we had to do required us to look at f(u) instead of x.

Without even thinking, I said, "What would f-u be?"

I stopped instantly and said, "Oh my, that sounds really bad!" I then got sooo embarrassed. If you know me then you know that I do not cuss. "Crap" is the strongest word I use. So my uttering this abbreviated version of a certain insult really throw me off. The students (all seven of them) were laughing and I was laughing too, but I was really embarrassed. My cheeks were burning and tears were squeezing out from laughing.

From then on out I would only say, "What would that other function over there be?

The next day the topic of discussion was implicit functions (give me that look that shows you are pretending to understand). I had to tell them that most the functions we have dealt with in the past were called explicit functions. I kept repeating the word explicit, explicit, explicit....

I told the class, "My gosh this sounds so dirty!" They laughed but they did agree. I told them to please not to go home and tell their parents that I said f-u to them and then we talked about explicit things!

What are those teachers teaching in school these days? Why, I do declare!!! :)

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment