First, I shaped the styrofoam with my hands, squishing it, and tearing off pieces I didn't want. It was very messy and flakes like dirt. This was my start, but I decided I wanted it wider and taller, so I kept on squishing and tearing.
Next, I glued the pieces togther. Now it is ready to start pinning on the flowers. I used hot glue to put the pieces together which, in my humble opinion, could have worked better. More about that later.
For the next step I started pinning on the flowers. I was very happy to see that the flowers would cover the seams and that the pins went in very easily, especially since I was going to have to put in so many!
After a full box of 450 pins, this is how many flowers I had left. I had just estimated how many I thought I would need at the store, so I was glad to see that almost half of the flowers covered almost half of the pi.
It wasn't all fun and games though. At one point a leg did break off after I had all the flowers on, but I was able to fix it with more hot glue and fortified it with wires too. I was so mad when it broke. It was good I was home alone. I screamed at it and scared the poor cat. But then I got over it and fixed it. So I guess I can have slight short-term drama queen tendencies. : /
Then later another part broke off. I didn't scream, but I did get mad. I fixed it with more hot glue and wires. Like I said the hot glue could have worked better.
But then the big trauma. It was done. It was perfect. I had glued it to a piece of foam board so that it would stand. I got it out of the house. I got it in the car to take to school. I got it out of the car. I got it all the way to my classroom with no trouble. I was so careful.
Then....then....oh my gosh...then, I tried to put it up on that high six foot shelf with my short five foot (and 1 inch) self. I didn't take the time to use both hands or to even get a chair....oh no not me! I just reached it up there with one hand because the other hand was holding things and that is when disater struck. It fell. It tipped forward out of my hand and fell. It hit me in the head (didn't hurt) and then down to the floor, breaking at almost every joint.
I was devestated and extremely ticked off! That stupid hot glue wasn't worth snot! I calmed down put the wreackage in a box and came home. A friend suggested Gorilla Glue, which I bought that day. I was able to salvage my pi and the Gorilla Glue did make the structure feel much more secure. God bless Gorilla Glue!
I took everything back to school and got the ivy up. The ivy is a whole other story that I don't care to go into. Let's just say the wire and ivy did not want to play together nicely. I did what I could with it and here is the complete finished look.
I am going to threaten the kids to within an inch of their little lives if they break it! They can look... but NO TOUCH!
I hope I have inspired you to be creative even through my pain. If I have comment and let me know!