Sunday, February 14, 2010

Travel to Rome: Humor

No matter where we go, there is always something that makes us smile and laugh. Those things are what make a trip fun and worthwhile. We saw and had our share of humor in Rome. Here are some of them.

The Picture-less Bus Story:

I don't have a picture to go with this story. I didn't even think about it. At one point we were going to get on a bus that would take us to a metro stop. We were going to ride the metro to the end of the line and try to find a place to eat supper that was NOT in a tourist area. This was on a Sunday around 5 PM. We waited at a bus stop for a long time with a bunch of other people. Finally the buses started to come around, but every one we wanted that did come by was packed! Like third world country packed! The doors couldn't even close without people pushing each other to cram themselves in one more inch. It was crazy! I have no idea why is was crowded, like I said it was 5 PM on a Sunday!

We waited even longer and it didn't get any better. There were some buses coming by that were almost empty, but they didn't go to where we wanted to go. So we waited a little longer. Finally, we gave up and got on one of the emptier buses. We had no idea where it went, but we decided to take our chances. Luckily, it stopped at a main stop so we got off and got on another bus that took us to a metro stop and all was well. It was so funny to see all those people CRAM themselves on a bus and I am glad we were NOT on of them!

Confused Italians:

I understand that we were in a foreign country, but there are so many people there that speak English that the signs in English should have no mistakes. Especially at major museums, such as St. Angelo's Castle.

english

Notice this time the English is perfect, but the picture doesn't match the brand name.

friskies dog food

In the land of pasta, pizza, and gelato; one would think that a no food sign would show that and not American food.

No food sign

Mathematics Is Everywhere:

It is good to let people know when there is danger, but the way it is portrayed here is hilarious to me.

danger

Then there is the h = 25 m, which reminds me of all kinds of math problems! I am sure I have written that statement myself sometime during my teaching career!

Have you ever been to a negative floor? Does that mean underground or in Hell? Where is 1, 0, and -3? I am so confused, but excited to see a negative! :) This was in the London airport.

negative floor

Statues and Fountains:

There are so many fabulous statues and fountains in Rome, and then you have this one.

Mossy fountain

His whole body is covered in moss, except for his head. It makes me wonder if his head was missing for a long time and over that time the body became mossy. Then later they found his head and placed it back on and it hasn't sat there long enough to get mossy. Or his head is made of a different material than the body. Either way, it is funny. I think we saw it right after Trevi Fountain so that just enhanced it ugliness.

I didn't want to mention this, but this statue has had an obvious nose job, or the person the statue represents had nose issues.

nose job

To have a statue made of a person, I would assume that the person was someone important in life. But then, how important could they be if their head ends up outside a toilet?

heads by tiolette

More About Bathrooms:

I thought this sign was funny because someone drew not only a head for this lady but also gave her a purse! I guess women and their purses are universal!

Womens restroom

I can now add to my life accomplishment that I used a pay toilet. What you see is not an elevator, but the bathroom!

pay toilet

It cost .50 euros to use. I put the money in and pushed a button that opened the door. I stepped in and the door automatically closed behind me. As it closed I looked and Frankie with a worried look on my face. What if it never opened again? I would die in a public restroom. The horror!

After the door closed a voice started talking, saying all these directions in Italian. I had no clue what it was saying. All I could do was look around for a little bit. I wish I had taken pictures in there, but I was a little freaked out. I had no idea where to get toliet paper to wipe the wet seat off...wait make that rim because there was no seat...as was the case several times in Rome.

I finally saw some instructions in English and it said I was limited to only 10 squares of toilet paper. I knew I wasn't going to need more, but I feel sorry for the ones who end up needing more. I tried to pull out some toilet paper, but it wouldn't budge. I pulled out a Kleenex from a small back I had put in my purse because of past bathroom sagas in Rome to wipe the seat off.

The English version of the instructions came on after the Italian. I am glad, it did English and again I felt sorry for anyone who didn't understand Italian or English! The voice was saying where things and how to use them. It then told me I had 15 minutes to get it all done in....granted plenty of time for me, but still strange!

I did what I needed to and then had to push a button to open the door back up...not sure what would have happened at the 15 minute mark and wasn't about to find out. I could just imagine some man, and yes it would be a man, sitting there doing his business and all the sudden the doors open. And you know there would be a women standing there with little kids!

It wasn't the most fun experience I had in Rome, but it was interesting to say the least!

Money:

Euros are very easy to use and understand. It helps that it is a relatively new form of money. The larger the amount the larger the coin. Makes sense, right? Well, the British pounds are crazy. There is no reasoning behind the size. 2 pence (cents) is larger in size than the actual pound (dollar coin). The 5 pence is smaller than the 1 pence.

Both of these pictures have the money in order from largest amount to smallest. Euros on left Pounds on right.

euros pounds and pence

Wait...the British money sounds like American money! After looking at these I looked at American money and came to the realization that on our money some of it doesn't even tell the amount of the coin. How is someone suppose to know what a dime is worth??

Speaking of all this change. We were in line to buy tickets for St. Angelo Castle and we saw this guy dressed up as a gladiator. He had dropped some money on the ground and because of his costume he couldn't bend over to pick it up. He had to ask a lady passing by if she would get it for him. It was hilarious! I guess he needed change or something because the went to the ticket window and we didn't think he was buying a ticket.

gladiator getting change

Now, for the final topic of humor.

Us In Rome:

We were trying to get a picture of both of us without having to ask anyone to take the picture. I had a bright idea of trying to use the panoramic feature of my camera. It takes a picture, then you turn slightly and line up the last portion of the picture with a new picture.

So I thought that I would take a picture of Frankie in panoramic mode, then he and I would switch places, he would take a picture of me, and then the camera would do its magic stitching the two together. I made sure to stand a little a part from where Frankie had been standing so the picture would be stitched together correctly, but I ended up standing basically right where he had been. Our panoramic project was an epic fail, but funny.

Panoramic Fail

Here is a three-wheeled delivery truck. The vehicles were so small!

delivery truck

But to put things in perspective, I am 5"1 feet tall....

me and delivery truck

For my last pictures, I have an even better example of small vehicles of Italy. Check out this tiny car.


tiny car

And now to put it in perspective, Frankie is 6"1' feet tall. This is my absolute favorite picture from the whole trip!

frankie and tiny car

No comments:

Post a Comment