Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Baseball T-shirt Empire Waist Recon

I bought a black and white striped baseball shirt for a dollar at a thrift store with the thought of reconstructing it. I wasn't sure what I would do with it, but I knew I wanted to cover the iron-on company logo on the front at the very least. It was not interesting and not a company I had heard of before.

At home, I looked around to see what I had to work with. I found a pale yellow tank top that was several sizes too small. I had bought at another thrift store for the Dr. Seuss logo that was on it. I cut the Dr. Seuss off and used Liquid Stitch to put it over the old logo. For a decorative touch I hand stitched around the outside of the logo.

Close up of hand applique

I wanted a more feminine look to the shirt so I cut the bottom part of the shirt off and added a small stripe of pale yellow from the tank top to give the illusion of an empire waist. I think I used up most of the tank top on this project, although it is hard to tell by looking at the finished product. (I used wide hems, for the just in case moments that surprising didn't happen on this recon!) Plus, did I mention the tank was extra-small?

Empire waist view


I liked the logo and the empire waist, but I wanted just a little more. So I took some left over scraps and made a tube out of them. I then cut slits into the sleeves and threaded the tube through to give it just a little more personality.

Here is the final photo with all the details. I like it, even if I do say so myself!

Shirt with sleeves view

No comments:

Post a Comment