Friday, October 29, 2010

Mice Mice Everywhere

This week started off with the cat catching a mouse in the house. He is doing his job and that part is fine. The part that doesn't work for me are the facts that he doesn't kill them and he brings them to me! It is our own fault that he does this. We have a cat that loves to play fetch and we only encourage this behavior since it is so darn cute! Since he doesn't kill the mice and he brings them to me, it freaks me out! I fear, not the actual mouse, but the fact that it might touch me! It might crawl on me! I don't know if that more irrational or not, but ugh!

So he caught the mouse and starts to bring it to me. Thank goodness Frankie was home. (There was one time he wasn't. That time I was walking out the door on my way to work when a cat, who has since passed away, caught the mouse and was in the process of killing it. I cried half the way to work because I let myself get so frenzied over it.) I go into the bedroom to get away from the cat with the mouse in his mouth. Pan, the cat, starts to come in there with me! I just start screaming at him over and over to get out! He knows what the means and didn't come in, but then he dropped the mouse and it ran under the couch. Frankie looked for it, but couldn't find it. I worried all night that Pan would get it again and bring it to me in bed in the middle of the night. *Shudder* I truly think my heart would have stopped completely. Then a couple of nights ago the cat re-caught the mouse (at least I hope it was the same one and there are not two). It was 2:30 in the morning and what woke me up was hearing the cat moving around beside the bed on my side and the squeaking of the mouse. Blah! I quickly woke Frankie up and turned on the light. I hustled into the kitchen and stood on a chair in the dark, while Frankie took care of the problem. There is at least one less mouse in the house and I am really hoping that means there are NONE!

Next! Today after the pep rally (joy and happiness),the junior high students come in my classroom and we get ready to start the lesson when all of the sudden one of them screams that there is a mouse! Before I know it there is massive chaos! Girls are standing on the desktops, boys are scrambling to get to where the mouse was to see it, I have my feet pulled off the floor, and everyone is LOUD! I let them sit on the desktops if they wanted and I got them semi-settled when the mouse stuck his head back out causing more screams and loud excitement. One girl even left the room temporarily. They are such a good group of kids, that I was able to get them slightly calmed down and we tried to learn about functions and graphs. That mouse would not stay under the bookcase! He kept jumping from the bottom shelf which is covered with material to hide all my manipulatives (fancy word for math toys) to the floor and back again. It was funny and frustrating all at the same time. I told the kids they I just had to get a picture of them all sitting on the desktops. It was priceless. I doubt they learned a thing today, but I tried!

There was a mouse.

As you can see I have three brave souls who kept their feet on the floor! I am proud of myself because I stood on the floor the entire class. (Mainly so I could move fast if I needed to!) It was an interesting class period, to say the least. I texted the maintenance man and told him there was a mouse. He came by after school and put down sticky traps. I begged him to please check them before I got to school on Monday, because if I walked in my room and saw a mouse stuck on that trap I would scream and then cry. I hate those sticky traps! A dead mouse is bad, a live mouse squeaking and crying trying to get loose or dying is horrifying! He promised he would and I trust him. Our school is surrounded by fields so we always have a mouse problem. He said he would add it to all the others he checks in the morning.

Finally, at least I hope, this evening at home, the cat was looking out the window when he suddenly started flicking his tail back and forth very quickly. That usually means he has seen another animal outside. I was thinking it was a cat, because I had just seen one chasing a rabbit, (have I mentioned we live in the country?) but no it was ANOTHER mouse!! A big fat one! It was probably pregnant....Ack!

This country life is going to kill me, with my heart stopping so often! Now when the cat starts running around playing with something, I am scared it is a mouse. When I hear a little scratching noise, I am scared it is a mouse. When I see the cat just staring at something, I am scared it is a mouse.

I have a feeling it is going to take several consecutive mouse free days to calm down!

No comments:

Post a Comment