Monday, January 31, 2011

Fruity Brown Sauce Recipe

When my husband and I went to Dublin, I found and fell in love with a condiment. It is sad, but true. Here is a picture of my new foreign love.

fruity brown sauce

When we got back home I dreamed of this condiment. OK, not literally, but you understand. I had to have more. I knew it could not be found in a grocery store near me so to the Internet I went!

I found a recipe on brownsauce.org (yeah, I was surprised there was a website dedicated to it as well, but on second thought, I can understand the love that drives a person to blog about condiments...). It was a recipe that I could easily understand and I had most of the ingredients already on hand.

I scaled it down by a fourth so here is my scaled down version.

Start with the following three ingredients:
  • Apples – 1 lb, peeled, cored and sliced

  • apples

  • Prunes – 4 oz. stoned and sliced

  • prunes

  • Onions – 1/2 large, peeled and diced

  • onions
Put the apples, prunes and onions in a pot and cover with water. Cook until tender.

cooking the sauce

Next put the fruit, onions, and remaining water in a blender or food processor and blend until liquidized.

blending the sauce blended sauce

Now add the remaining ingredients.
  • Malt vinegar – 12 fl oz

  • malt vinegar

  • Ground ginger – 1/2 tsp

  • ground ginger

  • Grated nutmeg – 1/4 tsp

  • ground nutmeg

  • Ground allspice – 1/4tsp

  • ground allspice

  • Cayenne pepper – 1/4 tsp

  • cayenne pepper

  • Salt – 2 tbsp

  • salt

  • Sugar – 1/2 lb (roughly 1 cup)

  • sugar
Once all ingredients are in the pot, cook on low heat until the sauce is reduced and thickened.

sauced cooked

I had to cook it for about 2 hours. The house smelled for about 2 to 3 days because of the malt vinegar, but it was worth it! Since I scaled it down, it ended up making just over 24 ounces of delicious fruity brown sauce!

sauce canned

I asked while in Dublin, what it was used for and they said it was a meat sauce. It taste a lot like a steak sauce, but fruitier. It was really good on chicken!

I hope I have inspired you to try a new recipe, maybe even my new love, fruity brown sauce! :)

1 comment:

  1. A nice simple recipe Jennifer, looks tasty. Can I suggest for your next batch that you try to add cloves, bay leafs, cassia and whole peppercorns to your vinegar and letting it mature for a few weeks. Use cider vinegar as it will increase the fruity character and add sweetness.

    ReplyDelete