Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Toy Joy - Austin, Texas

My husband (the debate coach), me (the UIL coordinator), the two students of the debate team, and one of their mothers (that is five people just in case you lost count) journeyed to Austin recently to attend the 2011 UIL State Debate Tournament. The team didn't make it to the finals, but I am very proud of the accomplishments they did achieve!

But this blog is not about them. ;)

The first night there we ate at a very good Italian/Greek place called Milto's Mediterranean Cafe. Frankie and I had eaten there before and really enjoyed it so we forced..err... convinced the others to give it a try. I think they enjoyed it as well. After eating we went across the street to a super fun store called Toy Joy. It is a shop full of the unusual, the one of a kind, the most unique items of any store I have ever seen. I, of course, snapped some pictures and I would like to share them with you now. (Excuse the quality of the photos. I was using my cell phone camera and trying to not be obvious, although I am sure they are use to it!)

They had memories from my childhood: Fraggle Rock, Smurfs, tiny naked babies, and big naked babies. (Yes, it WAS a normal childhood!)

fraggles

smurf stuff

tiny babies

big baby

They had food related items and other things you might need after eating. (Note: the Irish Accent spray is really breath spray and the Holy Water was a metal water bottle.)

yodelling pickle

flavored dental floss

dog slobber

irish accent

holy water bottle

brain freeze ice cube

pick your nose cups

They definitely had some strange things like finger hooks and sword shaped umbrellas.


finger hooks

sword umbrellas

There were creepy things like clowns in the ceiling and vampires chasing little kids.

in the ceiling

dick and jane

They had mustaches for fingers, girls, and there were others that I didn't capture in a photo.

fingerstache

mustaches for girls

And finally my favorite, they had things for nerds like me! (I bought some of those dice for my math classes. I even found some with fractions!)

super rubiks cube

dice

This was only a small sample of all the items they had in this store. I plan on going back sometime in the future when we have more time.

Frankie, love, prepare yourself! ;)

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun place to see! Where is it in Austin? I get to go there probably more than other places. Maybe sometime I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The address is 2900 Guadalupe St., Austin, TX 78705.

    ReplyDelete