Friday, May 6, 2011

Call 911!

Frankie and I were coming home from San Antonio after dark tonight when suddenly Frankie said, "What is that?"

He slammed on the brakes and swerved to miss a car that had been mangled in a wreck and was still in the road. Our tires squealed and he almost side swiped a car coming up behind us. He saw some lights in the road and thought it was teenagers goofing around and then as we came up to the wreck way too fast all he could do was swerve.

I looked up when he said, "What is that?" and all I could see was a car that was now in the shape of a ball. Frankie pulled over immediately and we took a second to process what had just happened then he got out and told me to call 911. It was a strange feeling actually dialing that number. This is the second time I have had to call it. The first time a car drove through our front yard and amazingly missed two trees, a water meter, and was fine.

This time I dialed it and it took what felt like an eternity to start ringing although it was probably only a minute or two. I am sure my phone was trying to figure out where I was so that it could call the local emergency station.

Finally it started ringing and a lady answered and said, "County 911. Are you calling about a roll over?"

I told her yes and she said thank you and hung up. I wasn't even sure if it was a roll over, the car didn't look upside down, it looked like a ball! A minute or so later many police cars and ambulances started showing up. By this time I was crying and praying. I stayed calm while I was calling 911, but after that I started thinking about all that happened.

I cried and prayed for the people in the possible fatal wreck. I cried and prayed that no one would hit the car in the road and be in a possible fatal wreck. I cried and prayed because if Frankie had not been paying attention we would have been in a possible fatal wreck. I cried and prayed that Frankie would be safe while he was out there rendering aid.

I calmed down then I saw Frankie heading back to the car and it made me start crying all over again. It was very intense and I can't imagine what the people who actually were involved in the wreck were going through. I am still praying for them.

Frankie said that there was a truck in the ditch upside down, the balled up car in the road and possible another car on the other side of the road. He wasn't sure there was too much commotion. We were one of the firsts one at the scene. There were other people there, but we are still not sure where they came from. Frankie had gone to the truck that was upside down praying it wasn't someone he knew and that it wasn't too bad. He used to be an EMT so he does know some things. He knows more than me about things like this, that is for sure.

The truck had one lady in it and she had somehow come halfway through the back windshield facing the ground. She was talking/crying and moving her head around. Frankie checked the scene around the truck to make sure it was safe and that the truck wasn't going to move anymore. He crawled halfway under the upside truck bed and talked to her trying to calm her down. She was begging him to pull her out, but even I know not to do that! When the EMT arrived he came back to the car. He did an amazing job with keeping us safe when driving and trying to help others. I am so proud of him!

With nothing left for us to do we continued on our way home. Shaken, but safe.

Please my friends, be careful out there! Accidents happen in the blink of an eye!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you had to come on the wreck but thankful that Frankie could help and that you could call 911. I came on one on 385 the other morning that had just happened. I found out later it was a fatality. I know the exact feelings you were having.

    ReplyDelete