Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Crossing The Curriculum

I decided to branch out of my mathematics box and put a bonus on all the finals for all my classes as this:

"Write a haiku about math. A haiku is a form of Japanese poetry that has three lines. The first line contains five syllables, the second contains seven syllables and the third contains five syllables. You can earn 5 bonus points for writing a haiku and 10 points for writing an outstanding one. I am the judge of outstanding."

Out of about 50 kids who took one of my finals (7th grade - 12th grade) there were nine who tried and did it correctly. Correctly just means followed the above instructions. I was somewhat disappointed there were not more, but I think the kids were just ready to get out of there!

Before I share the haiku poetry, here were two responses that I wasn't expecting:

High School Unexpected Response

I don't know what syllables are. :(

Jr. High Student Unexpected Response

I would do this but I have learned in ELA this year that poetry is NOT my thing!

Now on with the poetry! (Which by the way, aren't my thing either, but I thought this would be fun.)

High School Responses

Math is really GREAT
With all of its crazy shapes
And numbers so high!

Math might be stupid
But it is still very fun
That is all I have

Mathematics is
Really fun when you answer
Questions easily

Math is really hard
But it can also be fun
Math is fun? Yeah right!

Jr. High School Responses

Math is really cool
I love math it is the best
You make math awesome

Math is very cool
It is my favorite subject
I think math is fun

Numbers here and there
So many answers to write
My brain is busy

My oh my it's math
It's taking me in its wrath
But I still like math

The last one I am going to share is the only one I judged to be worth 10 points. It was different from the run of the mill and turned out to be my favorite. It is from a Jr. High student.

Math is like summer
You add the sums of numbers
Gentle as flowers

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Sounds like something I would have done in class! :) Or made students do anyway! ;)

    ReplyDelete