Thursday, May 19, 2011

Nature Over Runs The School

Six more days of school!!! Oh wait, that is not what I was going to talk about.

Today I looked out my window at school to see a member of administration standing there staring seemingly at nothing. I stuck my head out the door (most of our doors open towards the outside since we have no hallways) to ask him what he was doing.

He said there was a swarm of bees on the tree. I had to see it so I just walked out the classroom and left my high schoolers working on a review for the final. (I wouldn't have done that if I didn't trust them!) I did go back to my room and after the bell rang, I went back out during my conference to take pictures.

Bee Swarm at School

It was amazing and massive! I had never seen anything like it! The administrator has a depth of knowledge of nature things. He said that was all bees, nothing else. They were all covering the queen. They were not going to be there permanently, and could be gone overnight or in a few minutes.

The administrator and head of maintenance sat out there for over an hour watching it to see what would happen. They had to since there were students around and one of them could get stung and be allergic. It was a safety issue. I will have to see if they are there tomorrow.

As I was going back to my room, I saw a birds nest. Nothing really special about except for the location.

Bird Nest at School

That is right by the bell! I can tell you from multiple experiences that the bell is not a soft one. The birds have to be deaf! There is no way that is a hospitable environment to raise babies! I am going to report it to the BBPS (Baby Bird Protection Service).

And if those two things were not enough, as I was walking out my door to go to the office there was bat heading straight for me! The administrator and head of maintenance were still out there and thought that was the funniest thing to hear me squeal and hustle to shut my door!

Meanies!

The bat finally flew off after the head of maintenance started chasing it around with two sticks.

Country living at its best! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment