Monday, February 20, 2012

The Jollies of Small Town Post Offices

As I am sure you are well aware, you can purchase just about anything through the Internet.  With that being said, my husband mentioned he really needed a new windshield wiper blade for our hatchback car.  We live in a tiny town where you cannot purchase such items and Wal-Mart, which is in the next town over, doesn't carry the small wiper we would need.  Now we could go to one of the auto parts stores in the next town over, but it is outside of our normal places we visit and we never think of it when we are in the next town over.

Next best thing, the Internet!  I was able to find one very easily on Amazon and purchased it.  It arrived and I went to the post office to pick it up.  We have a small post office box like the ones shown below. Except our town is so small it has nowhere near 900 something boxes!  I think we might make it to maybe 500 boxes.


The post office people tend to stuff them full if you miss picking up mail a few days in a row, but the post master warned us when we first moved here that if we got a small one it wouldn't hold much.

When I opened our box there was the normal mail and this long plastic envelope containing the windshield wiper.  I pulled on it to remove it from the box but it wouldn't come out.  It kept getting caught on something.  I pulled the rest of the mail out hoping that would help, but it didn't. It wasn't that the wiper was too big, it went in the box from the other side just fine, it just kept getting stuck.  I didn't want to break the wiper so I didn't pull too hard.

I could hear the post master putting mail in other people's box a little further down from mine so I put my mouth near the entrance my post office box and said, "Help, I am stuck.!" 

The post master laughed and said jokingly, "You're stuck?"

"Yes."

"Ok, I will get it and bring it around to the front desk.  You probably have a bunch of books to mail too don't you?"

"Nope, not today."

Now the post master couldn't see me, but she sees me all the time when I do bring in books to mail (side job) and she recognized my voice and/or she knew who's box that 2 feet long envelope was protruding out of!  So, I stood there waiting with the post office box opened on my end.  If anybody had come in they would have thought I had gone crazy just standing there with the box open doing nothing.

The post master got done with what she was doing and came over  to the box from her side of the wall.  The envelope just needed to be pushed down some to allow it to slip out of the box on my side.  I laughed, told her thank you, and said I was glad she had been there or I would have been out of luck on getting that silly windshield wiper out of the box.

There are perks to living in a small town.  We may not be able to buy a windshield wiper, but when it gets stuck in the post office box, we have a familiar friend on our side to help fix it!


No comments:

Post a Comment