Sunday, April 1, 2012

Southwest Pieta - Luis Jimenez

On a recent school trip to Corpus Christi, TX I got the chance to see an 8-foot statue titled, "Southwest Pieta" by Luis Jimenez that is at the American Bank Center.  This was the same trip with the questionable roller skating rink incident. When my husband and I traveled to Rome we were able to see Michelangelo's "Pieta" at St. Peter's Basilica.

Pieta by Michelangelo

It was interesting to see a different version of the "Pieta".  While doing some research on the "Southwest Pieta", I sadly learned that Luis Jimenez passed away in 2006 when a piece of the 32-foot, 9,000 pound blue mustang he was creating for the Denver International Airport fell on him and severed an artery in his leg. So very tragic!

I am grateful for the art that he was able to give us while alive and I would like to share some pictures I took of his "Southwest Pieta".

Soutwest Pieta - Luis Jimenez

Soutwest Pieta - Luis Jimenez

Soutwest Pieta - Luis Jimenez
Soutwest Pieta - Luis Jimenez

Soutwest Pieta - Luis Jimenez

Soutwest Pieta - Luis Jimenez

Soutwest Pieta - Luis Jimenez

I loved it!  I didn't know the sculpture was at the convention center and so when I saw some statue I wandered over to it.  It was a delightful surprise.  I like when that happens and I always try to keep a watch out for the unusual.

Until later!  Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment