Friday, September 20, 2013

Anne Marie's Carriage House Bistro - San Antonio, TX

The same day that we went to the McNay Art Museum we decided to have lunch at a new place since we were on such an adventure.

New Art = New Food

We looked on Trip Advisor for a restaurant that was nearby that we hadn't been to before and came up Anne Marie's Carriage House Bistro.  The name alone drew us in!

Anne Marie's Carriage House Bistro


(I would like to ask that you please excuse the poor quality of the photos.  I was using my cell phone and it was darkish in the bistro.)

It is at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens, which we had no idea existed, shame on us, but now we do and we are sharing this information so that you will not have to be ashamed like we were.

We were not sure what to expect.  I am a cheapskate so I was concerned with how much a "bistro" would cost at the Botanical Garden.  (Bear in mind, that if it is over $5, I start questioning if it is too much. I question a lot...) As it turned out they had fairly reasonable priced options and all was well in my tight-fisted little world.

We were seated and immediately brought bread with butter. But this was not ordinary butter. It was strawberry infused butter. Oh wow was it good!  You can actually see the the strawberry in the butter!

Bread with Strawberry Butter Anne Marie's Carriage House Bistro


The soup du jour was a Chilled Champagne Berry Artichoke Gazpacho.  Huh?

(I don't know if you are suppose to capitalize food, but I like the way it looks, so I am going to. It is a title in my head, so therefore that makes perfect sense. Please don't ruin my logic by telling me it shouldn't be capitalized. Thank you and have a nice day.)


Frankie decided he was going to be adventurous and try it.

Chilled Champagne Berry Artichoke Gazpacho Anne Marie's Carriage House Bistro


He took one taste and drew back from it. His first statement was, "It is cold!"

So, yeah, neither of us knew that gazpacho is usually cold and didn't hear the whole "chilled" part when the waitress told us about it.

I tasted it and it was tart! I have not had champagne before so I am not sure if I could taste it in the gazpacho, but Frankie said it was there. Frankie decided he didn't like it and decided I did. So I finished it off as an appetizer.

We had both decided to order the Garden Scramble with Roasted Potatoes and a side of fruit.  Pictures never really do food justice, but know, it was very tasty!  It was asparagus, mushrooms, red bell peppers, tomatoes and herbs scrambled with eggs and cheese.  You can't go wrong with anything that has cheese in it!!

Veggie Scramble Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Fruit Anne Marie's Carriage House Bistro


This was off their brunch menu. Doesn't that just sound fancy?  We had brunch! Although, it was getting close to 1 PM by this time, but according their website brunch is from 10 AM to 2 PM.  I am not really cultured enough to know exactly the time that brunch ends but I have a feeling that this is pushing it!

Fully stuffed but apparently not completely satisfied, Frankie decided to order dessert.  He went with the Mile High Apple Pie.

Mile High Apple Pie Anne Marie's Carriage House Bistro


I literally think that this pie slice was 5,280 feet tall! (Did you see how I just slipped that math in there? HA!)

Frankie is so awesome, he knows I love to eat just the tip of any pie so he lets me take the first bite before he even tastes it.  Awh, now that is love!

The pie wasn't as good as we had hoped but the only problem was the over abundance of cinnamon.  They used sooo much cinnamon that it was overpowering and burned our tongues.  It had potential though and I hope it was just that one pie that was like that and it is not THE recipe.

Overall, we really liked the restaurant and would be willing to go back again.

I would love to go to the Botanical Gardens, but not in the summer and probably not with Frankie. (Sorry Love, but you KNOW you wouldn't enjoy that and therefore I couldn't enjoy it either.)

I did see on the Botanical Garden website that they offer “Starlight Movies in the Garden” in September. It is an opportunity to watch a classic movie outside at the Gardens with the ability to go an hour early for a stroll around the premises. And it's FREE! Oh yeah, I am there and Frankie would even like that!

I hope you stay tuned to my blog. I have a few more restaurants that I would like to share with you (because I apparently am such a foodie, yeah right!) and another museum that we visited in San Antonio.

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment