Sunday, September 22, 2013

Camaron Pelado Seafood Grill - San Antonio, Texas

With so many restaurants in San Antonio it is easy to overlook some really good ones especially if they are not "name-brand" chains or if they aren't right off the main highways.  When we find them, I want to remember them.  I want to return to them.  In order to help me do this, I have been blogging about them.  It helps me, it helps them, it helps you.  It is a win-win-win!

I was looking through older pictures on my Facebook account and saw some I had posted from a restaurant we went to way back in May.  It needed to be blogged about because it was some of the BEST Mexican seafood we have had.

So, let me introduce you to Camaron Pelado Seafood Grill which is at 2918 W. Commerce, San Antonio, TX.

I had a restaurant.com gift certificate for Camaron Pelado Seafood Grill and one day when we were in San Antonio and happened to be in that area, we decided to try it out.

The outside didn't give us much hope and it didn't help that there was construction happening right beside it.  We walked in the front door and were greeted and seated right away.  The inside more than made up for the outside.

One of the colorful chairs at Camaron Pelado Seafood Grill in San Antonio, TX

I loved the style of the chairs.  They have many different designs and all of them were full of color.  I am one who is drawn to color so I loved it!

When the waitress came over we realized she didn't speak English.  Now that is a SURE sign the restaurant is authentic! The menu (which is online) was also mostly in Spanish as well.  Since we have both lived in Texas our entire lives and we have lived in South Texas for over 5 years we were able to figure out what we wanted from the menu without too much trouble.

With our restaurant.com certificate we had to order $35 worth of food and then we would get $25 off, so we loaded up!

We ordered an appetizer of shrimp ceviche which came on one of the largest avocados I have ever seen! The ceviche could have served as my meal all by itself!

Shrimp Ceviche on Avocado at Camaron Pelado Seafood Grill in San Antonio, TX

Normally, ceviche is made with raw fish, I am not sure if the shrimp was raw or not.  It seemed cooked to me, but either way it was tangy and delicious! 

Both of our main meals came with a small bowl of soup.  

Side Soup at Camaron Pelado Seafood Grill in San Antonio, TX


I can't remember what type it was but I do remember that I personally didn't like it.  I don't think Frankie did either.  It didn't taste like it was bad, but it was just a personal preference.

Since it was pretty much an order anything you wanted day, Frankie went with a steak.  When his plate came out, both of our jaws dropped at the size of that steak!

Steak, Salad, and Fries at Camaron Pelado Seafood Grill in San Antonio, TX


Oh yeah, there were fries, a small salad, AND rice on that plate as well! If I remember right, Frankie ate almost all of it!  He said he had to since it was not everyday that he got to eat steak.

I ordered the Camarones al Mojo de Ajo which is shrimp with garlic.

Shrimp with Garlic, Rice, Salad, and Fries at Camaron Pelado Seafood Grill in San Antonio, TX


It also came a small salad, rice, and french fries.  As you can see from all the plates they do not skimp on food.  Your plate is FULL!

So now that I have reminded myself of where Camaron Pelado Seafood Grill is located, we will be able to return to it sometime in the future.

I do have to add though, that I thought the prices were on the high side.  We have also found another good Mexican seafood place in San Antonio.  It is a chain called J. Anthony's Seafood Cafe and there are several locations around San Antonio.  It is just as good and the prices are a little more to my liking.

I have two other restaurants to tell you about and I still need to tell you about the San Antonio Art Museum.  I will get there eventually.  I promise!

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment