Friday, January 24, 2014

New Orleans - French Quarter Oddities

There is a motto in Austin, Texas that say, "Keep Austin Weird".  I am here to tell you that New Orleans is so far past this that they probably don't even realize that they have any weirdness in the entire city.  I saw things that I have NEVER seen before in real life.  Now, maybe I live a sheltered life.  I am willing to admit it, but be that as it may, the French Quarter has got some oddities in it!  Let me tell you what!

I like oddities.  There is so much mundane repetition in my life (wake-up, got to work, come home, sleep, repeat) that discovering things that are different becomes exhilarating.  I don't need skydiving to get a thrill, I just need to see something new.  That's why we travel.

On to the odd!

Over and over we saw things dealing with psychics and voodoo.  I am sure there are still some who truly believe and practice but the stuff we saw had to be mainly for the tourist. I personally don't believe in any of it, but I did find it interesting.

We didn't have any readings done, although the opportunities were there.

Bottom of the Cup Tea Room Psychic Readings New Orleans LA


Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo New Orleans LA

Before going on this trip I was looking for attractions.  I saw that there was a voodoo museum.  Well, this we must see!

The official name is New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum.  It isn't very big, just two rooms and a hallway plus the small entrance room that also doubles as a gift shop.  And in case you get lost (I guess someone could...if they were blindfolded), there is a sign showing you the way.

Voodoo Museum Sign New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum

Let's begin, shall we?

Skeleton and Gator Head New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum

Now, some people might be disturbed by skulls filled with coins.

Skull with Coins in Eye New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum

Even if some are fake.

Skull with Coins New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum

But I gotta tell you, I really liked this one.

Skull with Cigar and Coins New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum

So the deal with all the coins? I think it has something to do with this.

Direction for Voodoo Wishing Stump New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum

Giving money to have wishes granted. Again, not something I believe in but some people apparently do, because there were coins EVERYWHERE.

Face with Coins New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum

This next photo turned out the creepiest.

Frankie's Reflection in Voodoo Doll Case New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum

At first glance it just seems like voodoo dolls in a glass case.  But then look again.  

Do you see it yet?  

It is in the bottom left corner.  

There is a reflection of a person in that glass!

Ok, don't get too freaked out.  It is just Frankie who was standing behind me cocking his head because he is becoming impatient that I wanted to take just one more picture in a museum that he never wanted to go to in the first place.  It's all good.

Done with the museum, here are just a few more of the oddities we saw in the French Quarter.

This one actually disturbs me some.  If you think about the size of those alligator heads, it means they were just babies.  That makes me sad.

Alligator Heads New Orleans LA

The Cornstalk Fence Hotel made me wonder why.  Just why is it called that??  Where did the fence come from.  Did the fence come first or the hotel?

Cornstalk Fence Hotel New Orleans LA

Since being home, I have now looked up the why and it is actually a sweet story.  According to the hotel's website:
There is a lovely story of the early owner who brought his young bride to live here far from her native Iowa. To soften some of her loneliness for the waving fields of corn back home, he caused this replica to be made in graceful iron so that from her front gallery she could forever see something of her native land.
D'awh!  Too precious!

So I move from the precious to the "huh??"

Devil in New Orleans LA


You might not be able to tell in the picture but it was pouring down rain.  Frankie and I stopped in a cafe to get something to drink and hide from the rain when we see this guy dressed as a red devil in platform shoes just strolling by.  As I said in the beginning, the French Quarter is so weird that they don't even know it.

I was wondering if he was a street performer like this next guy, but I never saw him again.  Who knows.

The next guy stayed in this position the entire time we had him in our sights.  How he kept his foot flexed and his arm back like that for any amount of time is amazing.  I was looking for something online and saw another picture of him dated 2011, so he has been street performing for awhile now with the same act.  I am sure he has built up those muscles.

Frozen Street Performer New Orleans LA

I saved the best oddity for last.  I just laughed and laughed and laughed at these mermen Christmas ornaments.  Are they fabulous?!

Mermen Christmas Ornaments New Orleans LA

That is all I have for this post.  My next post about our Christmas trip to New Orleans will be about one of the cemeteries we visited while there.

Until then!

1 comment:

  1. It certainly was a unique place. We went right before the hurricane. I'm glad I went but I don't care if I never go back!!

    ReplyDelete