Sunday, February 9, 2014

New Orleans - Blue Dog

I can't tell you the first time I saw a painting with Blue Dog in it, but the moment I did, I fell in love.  Here is just one example of George Rodrigue's Blue Dog:


I do know the reason that I love it.  Blue Dog reminds me of my cattle dog, Mac.

happy mac (2)

Isn't he the cutest??

My love for Blue Dog even inspired me to recreate one of George Rodrigue's paintings.  (Please keep in mind, I am not an artist, nor I have ever claimed to be, so please be kind as I share this.)

Blue Dog replica by Jennifer Hinds


I have looked and looked for the title of this particular one with no luck.  I have no idea where I even saw it to begin with.  Anyone know??

All of this to say, while we were in New Orleans, we saw Blue Dog all over the city.  It is not surprising though since George Rodrigue is a Louisiana native and has a gallery in New Orleans.  It was like a treasure hunt walking around the city and finding Blue Dog in so many places. 

Let me share my treasure finds with you.

The first one was a huge canvas on the side of the Sheraton Hotel on Canal street.  I couldn't get a very good picture because of the rain, but still, the painting is lovely and massive.  

Blue Dog by George Rodrigue New Orleans LA

Now that I am sitting at home looking things up online for this post, I realize that there was even more to see inside the Sheraton.  Frankie even said there might be and I didn't want to go.  We saw this large one at the end of the day and this was the day it had been raining, make that thunderstorming, ALL day long.  I was tired, hungry, cold, and wet and really just wanted to go back to the hotel. (In other words, being a big baby.) I am kicking myself for not going over there.

Oh well, no use crying over it now.  Moving on.

On a different day we were walking down the small street between the Presbytere Museum and St. Louis Cathedral, turned the corner on Royal street, and BOOM!  There was not just Blue Dog but George Rodrigue's gallery!  What!?!  Wow!!

Blue Dog at George Rodrigue Studio New Orleans LA



Red Dog Yellow Dog at George Rodrigue Studio New Orleans LA

As we stood there looking and taking pictures this couple walked by and told us that George Rodrigue had passed away last week.  They also said that the city of New Orleans held a huge traditional jazz funeral for him and that St. Louis Cathedral was packed with people paying their respects.

I would have loved to go inside his gallery but, because of his passing, it was closed.  As of this writing, they have opened back up.

Notice of George Rodrigue's Passing New Orleans LA


I was saddened to learn of his passing, but I know that Blue Dog will live on in the hearts of many, including mine.

The last place that we saw Blue Dog was at the New Orleans Museum of Art and the adjoining sculpture garden.

I wonder if the New Orleans Museum of Art in the past has had an exhibit of George Rodrigue's art.  The reason I wonder this is because of the one painting we saw in the foyer of the museum.  Even Blue Dog, itself had been there according to the painting!

Blue Dog Painting at New Orleans Museum of Art

The best Blue Dog is in the sculpture garden.

Blue We Stand Together  by George Rodrigue Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

This is huge sculpture that has not only Blue Dog, but as you circle around it you find Red Dog!

Red We Stand Together  by George Rodrigue Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

And even one in my favorite color, Yellow Dog!

Jennifer and Yellow Dog by George Rodrigue Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

So I end here, with the pretty yellow one.  I hope that you have enjoyed this post and will hunt for Blue Dog's yourself.  I am always on the the look out!

I have a few more post about New Orleans to go.  The next one is going to be all about our adventures on Christmas Eve.  I hope you will stay tuned for that one.

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment