Wednesday, February 5, 2014

New Orleans - The New Orleans Museum of Art and Sculpture Garden

When we went to New Orleans for Christmas we really didn't visit many museums.  We did go to the New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum, the Presbytere Museum, and also to the ones I am going to share today, which are the New Orleans Museum of Art and Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden which is at the art museum.

I think I have become jaded to paintings.  They all start to look alike and have started to fall into two categories for me.  They are either A) religious: Mary, Jesus, a combination of Mary and Jesus, or some saint I don't know because I am not Catholic or B) some scene or person that means nothing to me because I am painting illiterate.  You would think that after all the art we have seen and in all the places we have gone to see art, that something would stick, but alas, no.  I am still art stupid.

Where does this leave me when we go to these places?  It leaves me making fun of them in some way.  It is awful, I know, but I can't help it!  It doesn't help that Frankie laughs at my dumb jokes.  He is an enabler!

I don't have many paintings (only three to be exact) to share from the museum and the ones I do are only here to poke fun of, but since you have been warned, let's begin.

First one, I am looking at this painting and there is something so disturbing about it.

Dutch and Flemish Art New Orleans Museum of Art


So I go in for a closer look.

Close up of Dutch and Flemish Art New Orleans Museum of Art

Egads! Did you see that monster disguised as a cherub??  That right there is just a nightmare waiting to happen!

Second one, is it just me, or does this look like a young Sheldon Cooper off of The Big Bang Theory??

Portrait of Edward de Brueys by Richard Clague New Orleans Museum of Art


Third and last one, this one is called Mousquetaire du Cardinal and while I have looked up the word mousquetaire (it means musketeer), I can't help but think of Mouseketeer.  I doesn't help that his wardrobe is rather comical.

Le Mousquetaire du Cardinal by Jean-Leon Gerome New Orleans Museum of Art


Ok, I am done making fun of the paintings.  Next, we headed outside to the sculpture garden.  Now, I love me some sculptures.  I am not sure what the real difference is (besides the obvious, one is two-dimensional and the other is three-dimensional), but I am drawn to them more.

Maybe it's because they seem more limitless as to what they can be.  They can be bigger than life and to me, need more imagination to create.  Granted, I cannot paint or sculpt, so I might just be full of it here, BUT isn't that the whole point to art, you get to make up whatever you want about it and it has to be right because it is suppose to be based on feelings.  Gag!  Give me some algebra please!

Bring on the sculptures!

My darling husband took this one.  Just look at those light rays!  He did such a good job!  By the way, if you are interesting in the names or artists just hover over the pictures or click on them.

Sunbeam on Standing Man with Radiating Words by Lesley Dill Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art


Here is a fun piece.  A man made entire of letters as opposed to having only a few letters radiating off him as above.

Man of Letters by Jaume Plensa Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

This one was so creepy and disturbing that I loved it!

Monkeys by Rona Pondick Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

Here is  closer view of one of the "monkeys".  Please take a moment to notice the monkey in the bottom right corner STARING right at you!  Now try to go to sleep with that imagine on your mind!  Bwahahaha!

Close up of Monkeys by Rona Pondick Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

If the monkeys don't give you nightmares, how about a spider that is so large you could walk under it!!  I wanted to go stand under it and have Frankie take my picture, but I got a little creeped out and apparently watch too much television.  All I could think of was that it was going to come to life and kill me if I stood under it.

Spider by Louise Bourgeois Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

Here is something nice after the last two, and if I EVER grow any trees (stupid drought and stupid heat and now stupid freezing nights) I am going to make some tree necklaces for them.

Tree of Necklaces by Jean-Michel Othoniel Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art


Tree of Necklaces 2 by Jean-Michel Othoniel Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

I am really glad there were people in this picture just so you can see exactly the scale of this safety pin.  Isn't it fantastic?

Gaint Safefty Pin by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

When we saw this one it really bothered both of us.  Obviously that is a black man hanging and with the history of our country it gives me shivers to know things like this actually happened.  There was a plaque near it that helped explain the piece:
This sculpture, by the nationally renowned African American artist Alison Saar is a thought provoking memorial to victims of terror and violence. The man, while formally dressed, is presented in a torturous position; yet he appears brave and resolute, preserving his personal dignity. Saar has made the figure into a bell, inspired by Japanese temple bells, which are rung in purification rites. When the chain is pulled on the back, a deep mournful sound is heard. The title, Travelin' Light, is taken from a popular Billie Holiday song.
Tavelin' Light by Alison Saar Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

I think if we all practiced a little more of this next one, we wouldn't need art like the last one.

Love Red Blue by Robert Indiana Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

And finally, my absolute favorite sculpture in the whole garden.

"What is it?", you ask.

Karma by Do-Ho Suh Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art


Well let's take a closer look!

Close-up Karma by Do-Ho Suh Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art


And now from the front.

Top view Karma by Do-Ho Suh Sculpture Garden New Orleans Museum of Art

Just think of all the math that had to go into this!  The proportions, the ratios, the similar figures!  It is beautiful!

I still have a few more things to post about New Orleans, so I hope you will come back to check those out.

But until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment