Saturday, July 26, 2014

Museo de Arte Popular (Museum of Popular Art) - Mexico City

From the Diego Rivera Mural Museum we took a five minute walk to the Museum of Popular Art.  I love Mexican folkart and this place was chockablock full of the stuff!  Let me share some of my favorites.

When I think of Mexican folkart, something like this coyote is what I think of.  I love the colors and slight abstract shape.

Coyote at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

Check out these awesome covered cars.  They were each about foot in length.

Tiled Car at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City


Fabric Covered Car at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

These paper cut outs were tiny!  I am talking maybe at MOST an inch in length.  I am not sure what they are depicting, but the size alone was amazing.

Tiny Paper Carvings at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

A lot of Mexican folkart deals with skeletons.  At the Museum of Popular Art there was a whole section of skeleton art.  This one shows a bull fight where all the spectators, fighters, and even the bull are bones.

Skeleton Bull Fight  at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

The colors on these small skeleton statues were gorgeous! 

Skeletons  at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

When was the last time you saw skeletons on bicycles? Or even one with a cigar?

Skeletons on bikes  at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

Another popular Mexican art form is something called a tree of (pick a subject) and vary in size.  This first one is called Tree of Traditional Dances and it was about a foot tall to a foot and a half tall.

Tree of Traditional Mexican Dances  at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

This one is called Tree of the Artisans and it was close to eight feet tall.

Tree of the Artisans at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

This was one of my favorite pieces from the museum.

Close up of Peacock  at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

This next piece was AMAZING.  It was a little bigger than a La-Z-Boy recliner, which isn't the amazing part.  It was full of colors, which isn't the amazing part.  The pattern was beautiful, which still isn't the amazing part.

Beaded Large Artwork at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

The absolutely amazing part was the fact that what gave it the color and the pattern were tiny seed beads.

Close up of Beaded Large Artwork at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City


I'm talking tiny!!!   Like this tiny.


Amazing, right?!?

There is one last piece of art that I would like to share with you from the Museum of Popular Art and that is this lady.

Dia del Muertos Mexican Woman at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

I absolutely adore her!  I love the size, she was about 5 feet tall.  I love the colors.  I love her braids.  I love her flowers.  I love her hat.  Okay, you got it.  I loved this thing!!

I mean just look at this face!


Close up of Dia del Muertos Mexican Woman at Museum of Popular Art Mexico City

After going through the museum we needed a snack.  Of course!  We went with a slice of lime pie.  We think it was a wise and tasty choice.  Plus it looked so fancy!

Lemon Torta Mexico City

Another tasty thing we tried was some flavored water.  It said it was the taste of Jamaica, so I had to try it.  What DOES the country of Jamaica taste like?

Jamaica Flavored Water Mexico City

I have since found out that it is a Jamaica flower or hibiscus and not the country.  Slightly disappointing, but still enjoyable!

We had a few more sights to see on this day and I will share those in later posts, so until then!


No comments:

Post a Comment