Sunday, September 28, 2014

Museo de Arte Moderno (Museum of Modern Art) - Mexico City

After our visit to the National Anthropology Museum we walked over to the Museum of Modern Art which took us about 10 minutes or so.  The road we were on cuts through a portion of the Chapultepec Park.

In one portion of the park we came across a cactus garden that was part of the botanical garden.  For some reason though, the picture I took looks totally fake and indoors.  But I promise it was real cacti and it was taken outside.

Cacti at Botanical Garden Chapultepec Park Mexico City

I have looked at the picture and looked at it and just can't figure out why it looks so fake.  Maybe it is the rock bed of pebbles or the fact that there are so many different cacti that normally wouldn't be seen together.

Shrug.

Oh well, on to the modern art!

I will save my art rantings for the end of the post and instead start of with the weird things that I liked.  If you want to know the name of the art or who it is by you can hover over the picture or click on it.

First up,  the mustache and beard painting.  I just love that the mustaches are handlebar mustaches AND they are literally being used as handlebars!  My daddy would on occasion grow his mustache in this fashion, so that is probably why I can appreciate this.  Plus, I love that the beards are what is keeping them up and in motion.

Locomocion Capilar by Remedios Varo Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

Can I explain the man in the window and the woman?  No.   Am I going to try and ruin the fun of the painting?  No.

Speaking of beards.

Magus by Leonora Carrington  Museum of Modern Art Mexico City
From afar, ok, yeah, well that is interesting.

Get closer.

Oh man!  There are faces in his beard that share his beard. Ok, this just got much cooler!

Face of Magus by Leonora Carrington  Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

We walked into one room and this was the only thing in that room.

Sphere Sombras del Bosque by Fernando Gonzalez Gortazar  Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

A sphere made of deer antlers!   Reading the description, well trying to as best as possible because they were not in English, I figured out that some of these antlers came from Texas.

Awh, a little piece of home thousands of miles away!  Plus, it is the shape of a sphere and well, that just make my little math heart happy!

Walking into the next room the only lights you see are on the art pieces and it is more geometric antler art!  The lighting made the pictures come out super cool.

There was another sphere but this one was a more dramatic, don't touch me type of sphere.

Sharp Sphere Sombras del Bosque by Fernando Gonzalez Gortazar  Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

Next, there was a cube.

Cube Sombras del Bosque by Fernando Gonzalez Gortazar  Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

But wait!  Walk to one side and BOOM, there, as if it were drilled in the center, is a perfect hole.

Cube Side Sombras del Bosque by Fernando Gonzalez Gortazar  Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

There was one more piece of antler art in the room and I think this one was my favorite.  Not sure why, it just spoke to me.  (And I don't mean in a creepy like, "I see you standing there Jennifer, taking pictures of me, acting like you can't hear me," way.

Cylinder Side Sombras del Bosque by Fernando Gonzalez Gortazar  Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

It was in this museum that I encounter my first Frida Kahlo painting.  At least I think it was my first one, I might be forgetting one.  This one is title "Las Dos Fridas" or "The Two Fridas".

Las Dos Fridas by Frida Kahlo Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

Can I explain it to you?

No.

Do I want to?

No.

All I know is that Frida had some issues....

....but no worse than the issues this next piece caused Frankie and me.

Epitome o Modo Facil de Aprender el Idioma Nahuatl by Laura Anderson Barbata Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

"Oh, that's not so bad," you say.  "Looks like eaten corn on the cob that has been dried out," you say.

LOOK CLOSER, PEOPLE!

Closeup 1 Epitome o Modo Facil de Aprender el Idioma Nahuatl by Laura Anderson Barbata Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

Those are HUMAN TEETH!

Teeth!

From many many people's mouth!

Closeup 2 Epitome o Modo Facil de Aprender el Idioma Nahuatl by Laura Anderson Barbata Museum of Modern Art Mexico City


Maybe those people at one time ate some corn on the cob but that doesn't mean your teeth then get used to make something resembling the corn on the cob you once ate!

That wasn't a rant.  That was just expressing my slight disgust of the fact that those were HUMAN TEETH!!

Ok now, for a little ranting.

This is three blue plastic squares on a yellow wall.  That is it.  Oh sure, one is smaller than the other two, but still.   What you might be seeing on them is just a reflection from something else across the room.

These were blank blue plastic squares.

Ra by Raul Mirlo Museum of Modern Art Mexico City

I mean, how unimportant is your work when it is hung on the wall with thumb tacks.

THUMB TACKS!

Thumbtack holding up Ra by Raul Mirlo Museum of Modern Art Mexico City


So, this lady's "art" was her walking around Juarez, Mexico running her hand along walls and making a video of it.  Now, had she been blind it might have been more dramatic but she wasn't.  So there.



This lady's "art" was her with a piece of chalk in her hand drawing a line around her body and then spinning around as she did it.  

Um.

Ok.



End of rant, let's go outside to the sculpture garden.  I haven't been to a sculpture garden that I didn't like and this one was no exception.  The only thing that disappointed me was that there were no labels.  I have no idea what these are made of, what they are titled, or who they are by.

Here are a few of my favorites, pictures only though, because that's all I have.

Hollow Head Outdoor Garden Sculpture Museum of Modern Art Mexico City


Mother and Child Statue Outdoor Garden Sculpture Museum of Modern Art Mexico City


Boat on Side Outdoor Garden Sculpture Museum of Modern Art Mexico City


In my next few post we will explore the Coyoacan neighborhood of Mexico City.  In this neighborhood there is an artisan market, a huge food market, the Museum of Popular Culture, and the Frida Kahlo Museum.

So I hope you will come back to learn about those!

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment