Monday, September 22, 2014

Museo Nacional de Antropologia (National Anthropology Museum) - Mexico City

On our first full day in Mexico City we decided to tackle the #1 ranked attraction on Trip Advisor, the National Anthropology Museum.  But before we did that, we ate breakfast, of course!

We decided to eat at the hotel this time since it was reasonably priced and very very close.  It was a good choice on our part!

Just about everywhere we went to eat breakfast they would put a basket of pan de dulce (sweet bread) in front of us.

Pan de Dulce Mexico City

To Americans, if you didn't ask for it and it is put in front of you and it looks as good as those, you can eat them for free.  This is not the case in Mexico City and of course, we didn't find out until the bill came.  (They were not expensive, but still!)

If you don't eat them, you aren't charged.  If you eat one then you are charged for one.  If you eat the whole basket then you are charged for each one in the basket. (Did you see how good they looked?? AND I didn't do it alone.  Frankie helped!!)

I assume that if you don't eat them then they pick them up and give them to the next person that comes in.  So if a child sits at a table and plays with or licks the bread then they put it back because mommy and daddy don't want to pay......well then...I will let you just think about what happens next.

On to the breakfast that we did order and knew we would have to pay for.  Frankie went with a classic Mexican breakfast of huevos rancheros.

Huevos Rancheros Mexico City

He said they were a little different from what you would get in Texas but that he did enjoy them. I chose to be a little adventurous and ordered some breakfast tacos on corn tortillas that had cheese and pumpkin flowers in them. It was very good! I have had beautiful dreams about those tacos since returning from our trip!

Pumpkin Flowers and Cheese Breakfast Tacos Mexico City

After eating we started walking to the closest metro stop. We were going to be brave and try to ride the Mexico City metro. I had not read many good things about it but then again to be fair, I hadn't read many bad things about it either. Our hotel was not as close to a metro stop as I had hoped so we had a slight trek ahead of us.

We made it there without incident, paid the less than $0.50 per person to ride (which is SOOO super cheap), and squeezed through the turnstile. After that it was a crazy, wild mess! I have never seen so many people crammed into a subway car!

Packed Metro Mexico City


Packed Metro Car Mexico City

Did you happen to notice that both cars in the picture were filled with women only?  I did read that because of rush hour times (which is what we happened to stumble into) when the cars are PACKED that they leave the last few cars for women only so they do not have to put up with groping from men.

We let that overstuffed train pass.  We let the next overstuffed train pass.  We let the next overstuffed train pass and then gave up and started walking to the museum.  We then realized we were walking the wrong direction after what felt like a good fifteen minutes, decided it was well worth it to find a sitio stand, and grabbed a taxi to the museum.

Museum of National Anthropology Mexico City

After the enormous hassle of getting to the museum (ok, it wasn't really that bad, but it is fun to exaggerate) we took a coffee break at the museum and saw a squirrel.  (Hey, I can't help it that I love animals!) Plus, I have never seen one with mixed colors.  It was adorable!  All we have in Texas are these dirt brown squirrels, which are still cute, don't get me wrong, but they are NOT two-toned!

Squirrel Mexico City

Moving on, what is anthropology, for those who don't know?  I was in that category until recently, so let me enlighten you.  According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary online, anthropology is: the study of human beings and their ancestors.  So there you go, this is an entire museum dedicated to the study of the Mexican people's ancestors.  How Mexico came to be what it is today.

With that in mind, I am sure that if I had any connections to Mexico beside it being our next door neighbor, that I might had found all of this much more interesting.  Even if I were more interested in world history, I might have enjoyed this museum more. As it is, lots of the artifacts just started to blend all together to me.  Frankie felt the same way about it.

There were interesting things, but overall, eh.    There were two levels and we went through all the rooms on the bottom floor.  We didn't go to the second floor at all.  Even the people at the information desk hinted around that the second floor wasn't worth seeing.

Let me share some of the highlights and/or things I found interesting.

It is crazy to think that this duck was made of clay way back anywhere from 1200 to 600 BC and is still around for others to see!  Plus, it is just adorable!

Duck Museum of National Anthropology Mexico City

This acrobatic man is more than mere decoration.  It is actually a vase.  The top opening was at one of his knees and then poured out of his mouth.  How cool is that??  It is from the same time frame as the duck and also made of clay.

Acrobat Museum of National Anthropology Mexico City

A death disc, anyone?  This use to be at the Teotihuacan pyramids, which I will blog about at a later date.  I'm not sure if that is suppose to be a tongue sticking out or what, but I like the disc!







Death Disc Teotihuacan Pyriamid of Sun Museum of National Anthropology Mexico City

Apparently the people of Mexico use to worship many different gods.  This is one of them named, Cocijo. He has a nice beard going on, don't you think?

Cocijo God Museum of National Anthropology Mexico City

I LOVED this next one!  It's a pre-historic Day of Dead statue!!  (At least that is what I am calling it.) How cool is that??

Statue of Death Museum of National Anthropology Mexico City

Here is another god.  This one is called Xochipilli, the Prince of Flowers.  I like to call him the hippie god.   Flower Power all the way!

Xochipilli Prince of Flowers Sideview Museum of National Anthropology Mexico City

I love this picture with a jaguar vessel in front and the Stone of the Sun in the Mexica room.  The layout of the museum is nice.  They have done a fabulous job with the arrangement.  Each room is from a certain time period and it is easy to walk around in to view everything.

Mexica Room Museum of National Anthropology Mexico City

I took a close-up of the Stone of the Sun.  This stone is massive!  It is around 12 feet in diameter and said to weigh 24 tons!  The details that were carved into are very impressive!

Close up of Stone of the Sun Mexica Civilization Museum of National Anthropology Mexico City

This last artifact that I liked from the museum is a warrior mask.  What I really liked though were there colored tiles that adorn it.  It was a splash of color in a place where so many items were only clay colored.  Granted, at one time, there was paint on most of the items, but after thousands of years paint has a tendency to fade a little.

Mask of Malinaltepec Warrior Museum of National Anthropology Mexico City

Ok, one last picture.  I know I tend to take a lot of pictures of toilets it seems, but I like to show how there are little difference here and there from what we take for granted here in America.

In all of our travels, this was the first time I had to step on a pedal coming out of the wall to flush the toilet.  Come on, you know you find that fascinating too!!

Toilet with Pedal on Wall to Flush Mexico City

In my next post I will share with you our adventures in the Museum of Modern Art in Mexico City.  Come back and read my rants about modern art.  You know you want to!

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment