Saturday, October 4, 2014

Museo Frida Kahlo (Frida Kahlo Museum) - Mexico City

One of the last places we went while in the Coyoacan neighborhood in Mexico City was the Frida Kahlo Museum.  Frida was an artist from Mexico who is famous worldwide and best known for her paintings of herself. The museum is also called the Blue House or in Spanish Casa Azul.

I bet you can guess why when you see it.

Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City

The house has such a cool set-up.  There are several buildings that make up the house and these buildings surround a huge central courtyard.  I L.O.V.E the set-up of this house.  I would love to live in this house.  Of course, I would hate people traipsing through it everyday as I tried to just relax and be in my house!

On one of the outside walls in the courtyard there is an inscription that says: 

"Frida and Diego lived in this house 1929-1954"

Frida and Diego Lived Here Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City

While that is true, it is also true that Frida was born and grew up in this very house that her father built.

Here is a picture of a very young Frida.  If the date at the bottom of the picture is correct that would make her 12 years old.  She was born July 1907 but later declared her birth year as 1910 in order to coincide with the start of the Mexican Revolution

Frida as a Child Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City

Here is Frida much older.  I can't tell you how old though.  I am not good at guessing ages, so I won't.  I know I can't insult her by guessing and being way off the mark since she is no longer living and would probably never read this post if she was living, but still, I am not going to even try.

Frida as a Teenager Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City

Frida had a rough life.  If you want to read the details this website has them.  I will give you the highlights.  She contracted polio when she was 6 and it crippled on of her legs.  Then at the age of 18 she was in a terrible bus accident that crushed and mutilated her body.  During the months of recovery she started to paint.  She used her paintings as a way of expressing the pain she was going through.  If you know that information, then it really helps explain some of her more unusual paintings.

As we walked through the museum there was a quote on the wall by Frida.

Who Needs Feet Quota Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City

After her bus accident she was in constant pain and had to wear corsets and a prosthetic leg.  These were on display at the museum

Fridas Corsets and Prosthetic Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City

I have got to say,  I LOVED the shoe!  It totally rocks!

Shoe of Fridas Prosthetic Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City

Frida got involved in the communist movement and through that avenue met and later married Diego Rivera (also a famous Mexican artist).  Here is a painting she did of herself and Stalin.

Stalin and Frida at Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City

There were many other paintings in the museum and we were able to walk through the house to see how it was set up while she lived there.

My favorite room was the kitchen.

Kitchen Wall Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City


Like I said, I want to live here!!!  I loved loved loved the colors and the style and just everything about the house turned museum.

Kitchen Table Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City


We were there when many other people were and we were only able to shuffle in a line from room to room once we got upstairs.  In her bedroom on her bed the death mask of Frida was laid out for public viewing.  I wasn't suppose to take a picture but it was just so bizarre to see such a thing that I just had to!  Shhhhh....don't tell la policia!!

Frida Death Mask Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City


After the shuffle shuffle dance, as I like to call it, we headed outside where there was more room to move about.

I loved the courtyard.  I wanted to stay there and never leave. It was so pretty and so nice.

Happy sigh.

Courtyard Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City


In another part of the courtyard there are some fun things for children and adults!

Frankie and I became Diego and Frida for a just a little while.

Jennifer and Frankie as Frida and Diego Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City

The back of the board made us laugh so hard.  It wasn't really what it said but the picture.  Sometimes Frankie and I are the only ones laughing at something (that's why we get along so well) so please tell me that others find this funny!


Please Dont Lean Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City


There was a spin-the-Frida.  I am sure that is not the technical name, but I don't know what else to call it.

Spin the Frida at Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City


And then my personal favorite, a cafe that sold coffees and desserts.   Seriously, I am moving in to this place!

Espresso with Milk Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City


In one spot there were calla lilies growing.  They were so beautiful!

Lilly at Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City


Lilly Surrounded by Green Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City


I am sure that was Diego's doing.  He has many paintings in which calla lilies are represented.  If you click on this link you can see a few of them.

I leave you with one more picture.  I like to pretend that in this picture Frankie and I have already moved in and now call the place our own.

Frankie and Jennifer Frida Kahlo Museum Mexico City

Another happy sigh!

This was the end of our day in the Coyoacan neighborhood of Mexico City.  It was a lovely place and I do recommend it!

In my next blog post I will share with you our trip to the Soumaya Museum, which we both absolutely loved!

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment