Thursday, October 2, 2014

Museo Nacional De Culturas Populares (National Museum of Popular Culture) - Mexico City

There is a really fun museum in the Coyoacan neighborhood of Mexico City.  It is called the National Museum of Popular Culture.

National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

Inside and out the museum is filled with wonderful Mexican folkart.  The colors are bright and plentiful, just the way it should be!

In the courtyard before you even pay to go in there is a huge tree of life to feast your eyes upon.

Tree of Life National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

There are several buildings to the museum and on the day we went they were having a sort of fair.  There were people selling all manner of things and there were Latin dance classes being held.  It was a very festive environment!

Let's stroll through the buildings, shall we?  I will show you some of my favorite things.

This was the tiniest shop I have ever seen and the details were amazing! 

Herbolaria-La Gallina Negra y el Pirul National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

You just can't go wrong with this color scheme plus it is gorgeous!

Cruz de Flores National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

Between two of the buildings there is a brightly painted mural called Dream Weavers.  I don't understand it, but I do like it!

The Many Colors of National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

I think I might be able to keep up with some of these folks taking the dance class.  Of course, Zumba has helped me with that.  Now, should I tell you that I still, on occasion, accidently hit myself in the face, trip over my own foot, or step on my pant leg???  Nah.  You don't need to know that.


In another building there were displays of artifacts from each of the different states of Mexico.  Here are a few of my favorite ones.

Representation of State of Queretaro National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

Representation of State of Veracruz National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

Representation of State of Yucatan National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

Jalisco was my favorite!

Representation of State of Jalisco National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

I loved the tree of life that represented the state of Jalisco. I really liked the brightly colored flowers on it.

Tree of Life Representation of State of Jalisco National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

The roster was decorated in the same fashion as the tree and let's face it, who doesn't like a flower covered roster??  No one can resist that!

Roster Representation of State of Jalisco National Museum of Popular Culture Mexico City

That concludes our journey through the National Museum of Popular Culture.  In my next post we will still be in the Coyoacan neighborhood and I will tell you all about the Frida Kahlo Museum.  I hope you will come back to read about it.

Until then!

1 comment:

  1. I love the bright colors! But I'll just be content to look at your pictures. I don't want to go over there!

    ReplyDelete