Sunday, September 27, 2015

Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden - Nacogdoches, Texas

Before we left on our trip to Singapore, we got to visit some friends that live a forever long distance away in Nacogdoches, Texas. (Six hours by car and we never left Texas!!) Nacogdoches (pronounced nack-a-doe-chis)  is a pretty town in east Texas that claims to be the oldest town in Texas.  If you ever find yourself there looking for some quiet in the middle of the city may I suggest a stroll through the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden.

My friend, her two precious boys, and I decided to visit this garden.

Friends in the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden

I was blow away by its beauty.  It almost (almost) made me forget about the oppressive humidity ladened heat that east Texas is famous for in the summertime (and mid to late spring and early to mid autumn). The azaleas are in bloom in the spring so we didn't see them since this was in June, but there is plenty of nature to see.

I grew up in west Texas.  These were my trees.


So when I see trees, and I mean real trees, not little shrubs, I am in awe.  The azalea garden has real trees! (Of course, so does all of east Texas but let's not get nit picky, ok?)

Large Pine Tree in the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden

Pine trees where I grew up were fake and only seen at Christmas time.  I actually classify this one as a monster tree.  I mean really, I think east Texas steals some tree height from those poor scraggly trees in west Texas.  How else can you explain this?  (Ok, yes rain.  Rain will explain it.  Fine.)

The azalea garden has over 200 Japanese maple tree varieties.  Before this trip,  I didn't even know there was one type of Japanese maple tree, so imagine my surprise!

Japanese Maples in the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden


Sun between trees in the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden

Even though the azaleas were not in bloom there was still other flowers to be found in the maze of well managed trails.

There were plenty of hydrangeas.  I captured a close up of some pink ones.

Pink Hydrangea in the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden

There were even some sunflowers!

Yellow Sunflowers in the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden


Orange Sunflowers in the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden

So you may be thinking, "This place is so beautiful, there isn't anything that would make it better."

But there was!!

There was even art sculptures in the garden!  (I keep saying garden because that is what it is called, but it seemed more like a forest to me and my west/south Texas eyes!)

Check out the huge red metal poppy.

Red Metal Poppy in the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden


They just popped up on our walk.  (Get it, the poppies popped up!  I kill me sometimes!  Ha!)

Red Metal Poppies in the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden


One last sculpture and last picture from the azalea garden.  It is a huge crow made out of old tires.  How cool is that?

Tire Crow in the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden


I hope this inspires you to get out and visit a new place or even revisit an old favorite.

I have a few more post to share from places we went over the summer.  I hope you will come back to read those.

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment