Thursday, April 7, 2016

Statue of Liberty - New York City

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!


Can you believe that while we were there AT the Statue of Liberty that I somehow never saw the plaque that holds that quote!  I didn't get to read those beautiful words.  I can't believe I didn't even think about it until waaaay after the fact.  I am so disappointed with myself!

I guess that just means we will have to go back sometime!

Out of all the pictures I did take of Lady Liberty, this was my absolute favorite one!

Statue of Liberty Trees and Birds NYC

And then this one is just proof that we were really there.  (Since I didn't get a picture of that plaque, who knows, maybe I am making this all up and you need proof I'm not!)

Frankie and Jennifer at Statue of Liberty NYC

Let me show you some close-ups I took of the outside of the statue.  My camera has great zoom capability!  

Statue of Liberty Face NYC

If you pay extra you can climb the spiral steps up to the crown and look out those windows.  We got to see the staircase after our climb up the pedestal.

Spiral Staircase Inside Statue of Liberty NYC

Looks like torture!

We decided beforehand that climbing the steps up the pedestal would be more than enough and good thing we didn't pay extra because the stairs to the crown were closed the day we went.  Climbing up the pedestal is a good workout.  Once up there you can go outside and take in the view.  One the day we went it was super crowded and we had to squeeze our way around everyone taking selfies or posing for pictures.  If it hadn't been crowded it would have been worth it, but otherwise not really. 

Statue of Liberty Book NYC

Just in case you need help, that date is July 4, 1776.  Also, if you are not American, July 4th is the day we celebrate our independence from Britain.  (Don't worry Britain, we stopped holding a grudge loooong ago!  We like you a lot now!) 

Statue of Liberty Torch and Flame NYC

Did you know that this is not the original torch?  The original was removed in 1984 and is on display in the pedestal lobby.  It is extremely beautiful and I am glad we got to see it.  It has such an art deco feel to it!

Original Statue of Liberty Torch NYC

Inside the pedestal (before climbing the stairs) there is a really neat museum all about the Statue of Liberty.  I didn't know it was there but glad it was!  We did have to have pedestal access to go in the museum but that didn't cost any extra.

Inside the museum there is a real-life replica of the Statue of Liberty's face.  Frankie is 6 foot 1 inch just to give you some perspective of just how large the statue is!

Frankie and Replica of Statue of Liberty Face NYC

Some believe that the statue's face is modeled after Auguste Bartholdi, the sculpture's, mother.  He never said that was true, so it all remains a mystery.  I totally see it though!

Statue of Liberty Artists Mother NYC

It was really interesting to see photos showing the building of the statue.  The pedestal was built in America while the statue was built in France.  

Buidling the Statue of Liberty Part 1 NYC Buidling the Statue of Liberty Part 2 NYC

The crazy part is, yes they built the statue in France, but then they dismembered it, numbered the pieces for reassembly, put the pieces in 214 large crates, and shipped them all by boat to America.  It took four weeks to cross the Atlantic.

Once in America it sat in storage for a year while the pedestal was finished being built.  When that was done they began the task of piece her back together.  Many of the men responsible for this task were new immigrants, ironically.  300,000 rivets later she was done and she still stands today just as proudly!

Statue of Liberty and Seagull NYC

This just makes me happy sigh every time!  I love this country!  I love being American!

Ok, enough patriotism for now.  I hope you will return later.  I will be blogging about Central Park and boy do I have a story to go with it!

Until then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment