Tuesday, August 2, 2016

How To Eat Lychee And Rambutan Fruits

Lychee fruits aren't usually found in my next of the woods.  I have seen them in Asian grocery stores in larger nearby towns and also when we were in Singapore, but I had never tasted a fresh one.  I tried canned lychee before and didn't really care for them but wanted to give fresh a chance.

As I was in my local Wal-Mart the other day, I saw they had bags of lychee.  I couldn't believe my eyes!  This is a smaller Wal-Mart in a smaller town, so we usually don't get such exotic foods!  You can bet I bought a bag.

Bag of Lychees

The outside of lychees are hard and bumpy.  Just looking at them, you wouldn't think it was anything edible. 

Open bag of lychees

Just look at these up close.  Who was the first one to say, "Well, let me just crack this open and see what is inside!"?

Whole Lychees

Lychees are not hard to open once that first incision is made.  I just used my fingernail but a knife works too.

Starting to Peel the lychee

As you can see, the peel comes off fairly easily and here is what the inside looks like.  Ok, now it is starting to look edible.

Lychee peeled

There is one seed that has to be removed and it comes out easily too.

The seed inside the lychee

Lychees are quite juicy (aka messy) unless I was peeling these the hard way, but there didn't seem to be another way.  Once you have the peel off and the seed out, the lychee is ready to eat.

Peeled lychee and no seed

I tried to like them, I really did.  I thought I would like them if I keep eating them, but it just wasn't happening.  I can't describe the taste because it is a unique flavor.  It is its own thing for sure!  But your taste and my taste are not the same so please don't let my judgement be yours without trying them!  At least if you find some now, you will know what to do with them!

Rambutans are another fruit that I have seen in Asian stores and in Singapore but never had tried one, not even canned.  Apparently our little Wal-Mart is stepping up their fruit game because I shockingly found these there too!

Rambutan in Container

These are some of the most interesting fruits I have ever seen.  

Rambutan Whole

Any fruit that looks like a sea urchin has got to be interesting!

Rambutan

Rambutans have to be peeled like lychees but is actually a little easier.  It feels more like peeling an orange.

Starting to peel the Rambutan

Once peeled it does look exactly like a lychee!

Peeled Rambutan

Also like a lychee there is a seed that needs to be removed.  Rambutans are not as messy as lychees.

Rambutan Skin and Seed

I loved the rambutan!  It's flavor wasn't as far removed from what I already know as compared to the lychee.  It did still have an unique flavor, like nothing else I have ever had.  If you come across some I highly recommend them!

I hope this post helped you in some way and inspired you to try something new. 

My next post will be about a day we had in nearby San Antonio, Texas where we played tourist with some friends.  I hope you will come back to read about it!

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment