Sunday, September 18, 2016

Museum of Fine Arts - Houston Texas

On our trip to Houston we visited the Museum of Fine Arts.  We go to art museums on just about all of our trips.  I actually can't think of one place where we haven't.  So you would think that after all those museums I would be a little more art savvy.  But nope, I'm still art ignorant. 

The Museum of Fine Arts in Houston is a great museum, despite my shortcomings on the topic.  It has mix of super famous artists, meaning, I have heard of them, art across the centuries including contemporary/modern (the ones I have a love/hate relationship with), and art from across the globe.  Then there is my favorite topic, the stuff I can make fun of because I am so entirely art ignorant that I can't see the beauty or symbolism in what I am looking at.  These pieces can fall in any category, be from any place, or come from any time in history.

With that in mind, let's start with some of the super famous artists that the museum had.

First off, they had this painting called "The Cottage" by Vincent van Gogh.

The Cottage Vincent van Gogh Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

There was this one called "The Windmill on the Onbekende Gracht" by Claude Monet.

The Windmill on the Onbekende Gracht Monet Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

This last one, you can probably guess who is it by before I tell you.  Look at it and take a guess.  Go ahead and take a guess, I'll wait....

Bust of a Woman Picasso Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

...I am going to assume you said Pablo Picasso, because you are a genius. You are of course, correct.  It is titled "Bust of a Woman", so not the most original title, but that is okay.  Picasso painted and sculpted so many pieces that he truly must have run out of unique titles.  We have seen many of his works titled, "Bust of a Woman".

So those were some of the famous artists.  Let me share some pieces from around the world that struck my fancy.

First up, is an alam from Iran.  An alam is a steel ornamental piece used in ceremonies marking the battle of Karbala that happened in 680 AD!  The detail in them are truly amazing and the shadow really highlights them.

Alam from Iran Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

From Turkey we have this stringed musical instrument called an ud.

Ud from Turkey Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

The final international piece I want to share is this earthenware from Peru.  I am not sure what it is so I will make up something for you.....um....candle holder.  Yes, this is an early some century candle holder. 

Peru Earthenware Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

Now time for my favorite topic, let's make fun of the art!  Yay!

The guy in the bottom right corner is VERY concerned with the guy in the top left corner.  But Old Red Cape on Backwards doesn't seem to give a flip about the other guy.  Then there is the kid. Man, kids are nosy!!  I hate when they just stare.

Whats He Looking At Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

This is how all kids should be dealt with at all times.  Seen but not heard!  I would tell them that this statue can see and hear them and reports all their actions to Santa Claus, that should keep them in line!

Silence Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

I am NOT making fun of Mary and Jesus. I AM making fun of the artist who decided they needed to look like doofwads.

Virgin and Child Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

I mean, seriously....

Face of Virgin and Child Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

In this one Mary looks a little better, but what was the artist thinking when he chiseled the face of Jesus??  He looks like a tired slightly intoxicated middle aged man!  Again, I am NOT making fun of Jesus or Mary, I revere them in the utmost high, but I AM making fun of the artist's decision of how they should look.  

Colorful Virgin and Child Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

This guy. His hat aside, this guy's last name was Baños.  Baños!  As in, "¿Dónde está el baño?".  Where is the bathroom?  This dude's last name is Bathrooms!!  ¡Pobrecito!  (Poor thing!)

Antonio Banos Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

This one has nothing to do with the art. You can try to justify this all you want by calling it a kilt, but seriously?  (Especially, when a Hawaiian shirt is thrown in the mix.)

Man in Skirt at Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

My final category is the modern art.  It is still mostly there for me to make fun of at least that is what I truly believe is its purpose.

I think this artist went into his granny's house and took all her rugs that she had for decades to create this.  I can guarantee you that his granny was NOT happy about it any of it!

Soundsuit Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

I saw this piece at the junkyard the other day!

Old Anson Impact Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

I didn't get this one until I saw the title.  It is called "Giant Soft Fan".  Oh!  Now I see it!  Being from Texas I really appreciate any and all fans!

Gaint Soft Fan Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

Andy Warhol, don't feel bad, my hair can look like that in the morning as well.

Andy Warhol Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

These last two pieces of art are ones that I really liked.  They are both by Roy Lichtenstein.  He is a pop artists and so far, everything I have seen by him, I have liked.

I wouldn't mind having this in my house.  Not sure where I would put it, but I am sure I could find a place.

Archaic Head VI Lichtenstein Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

This last one I am sure with very little imagination you can say it is a naked woman, but I really just like the red and white stripes and the yellow flame at the top.  I like to keep things clean and simple.

Galates Lichtenstein Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

Finally, before we leave this post and before you leave any museum, you HAVE to take a stroll through the gift shop.  You just never know what you will find.  Giant flamingos anyone?  They are only $450 each.  Buy the pair!!  You know you want to!

Gigantic Inflatable Flamingo Museum of Fine Art Houston Texas

I hope you enjoyed the tour of the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston with me.  In my next post we will visit the Museum of Contemporary Art.  It was....different.  I hope you will return to read all about it.

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment