Thursday, September 8, 2016

Texas Art Asylum - Houston Texas

It is finally here!  A post about our trip to Houston, just as I promised.  One place that we went is called Texas Art Asylum.  I will let them tell you what exactly there place is:
Part craft store, part thrift store, part salvage yard and part antique store, our inventory is collected from businesses, institutions and individuals who recognize that their materials are suitable for reuse, repurposing or upcycling.  In the right creative hands, many materials can live second or third useful lives.
Let's take a gander and see what we can find!

There isn't a whole lot marking the door and it doesn't look like a regular store front.  But then again can it really be called a regular store??

Door to Art Asylum Houston Texas

Once in, we were welcomed by a sign.  There was literally nobody in sight for a good portion of our time in there.  Eventually we did see two workers lurking about.  I guess when you are selling what they are selling they aren't too terribly worried about theft.

Sign for Art Asylum Houston Texas

In fact, I saw Johnny Cash, the cat, before I saw any person.  (Once I finally saw a person I asked the cat's name, just like you are suppose to.) And yes, those are doll parts for sale.

Johnny Cash the Cat and Doll Parts at Art Asylum Houston Texas

I saw Shugg as well, but she wasn't still enough to get a photo of her.

There are some i.n.t.e.r.e.s.t.i.n.g. things in this place.  Some extremely weird, which I liked!

Take this deer head for example.  I don't think it was for sale though.

Deer Head at Art Asylum Houston Texas

Then there was this kite and doll combination.

Kite with Doll at Art Asylum Houston Texas

There was "normal" crafty stuff as well, like this alphabet beads.

Letter Beads at Art Asylum Houston Texas

But then there were some not so normal "crafty" items.

Scratched off lottery tickets, anyone?

Scratched Lottery Tickets at Art Asylum Houston Texas

Or how about empty toilet paper rolls?  (I actually have seen some arts and crafts projects on Pintrest that use these!)

Toilet Paper Rolls at Art Asylum Houston Texas

There is actually tons more stuff there, this is just a few and I do mean a few, highlights.  If I had a project in mind this would be my go to place, but just like Hobby Lobby, with no project in mind it was just a fun time to browse but I wouldn't go there often.

Of course, if I were as artistic as the person who made this, maybe I would be there all the time!

Robot Made From Junk at Art Asylum Houston Texas

I hope you enjoyed this post and discovered a new place you would like to visit!  My next post will be about the Museum of Fine Art in Houston.  I hope you will return to read all about it!

Until then!

1 comment: